The Legal Assistant role
Working under supervision to support their allocated fee earner (which can be changed if the business requires) with the full range of conveyancing procedures from commencement to completion of transaction, to include provision of secretarial/administrative support to their nominated fee earner to include typing of audio dictation where necessary. This role will be based in our Halstead office.
- Taking instructions from allocated fee earner and/or Head of Dept for freehold sale and purchase files, transfers of title, discharge and remortgage work
- Dealing with clients, estate agents, mortgage lenders and solicitors at every stage of the transaction from initial instructions and noting interest, throughout the pre-exchange stage (under supervision) and through to completion.
- Advising and keeping clients up to date with the progress of their transaction both via email and telephone contact.
- Ordering searches where relevant reviewing the same and interpreting results.
- Preparing Transfers and all other conveyancing drafts.
- Preparing Certificate on Title and ordering funds from Lender.
- If required, preparing for and running completions of conveyancing transactions.
- Registering property with HM Land Registry if required.
- Dealing with all other post exchange requirements under guidance from allocated fee earner and/or Head of Dept if required.
- To ensure our clients and introducers receive the best possible service at all times
- To improve and enhance the firm’s client base by maintaining and strengthening relations with existing clients.
- To maximise the firm’s potential to cross – refer services by identifying appropriate opportunities.
Case management responsibilities:
- Closing files.
- Dealing with credit and debit balances and ledger reviews.
- Effective monitoring and scrutiny of files ensuring timescales are met and that paperwork is processed, filed and kept up-to-date.
- General Administration
- To provide general administrative and secretarial support to the residential team as required, priority being given to the allocated fee earner, if applicable.
- To provide secretarial cover during periods of planned and unplanned leave.
What experience do I need?
- Conveyancing experience obtained in a similar role.
- Good knowledge of residential property processes and procedures and confidence in managing transactions.
- Secretarial and audio dictation experience.
What skills and attributes should I have?
- Efficient and well organised, with attention to detail.
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills.
- Adaptable and flexible with ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritise heavy workload within tight time constraints under pressure.
What are we offering?
A relaxed, supportive and flexible work environment with opportunities to contribute to the growth of the team and firm.
Employees are also able to benefit from a great remuneration package and a number of additional benefits including access to an employee assistance programme, virtual GP access 24/7, death in service, a retail discount platform and optional medical insurance policies at group discount rates*
About the company
Holmes & Hills Solicitors is a large and growing regional law firm with its heart in East Anglia. From six offices across Essex and Suffolk - including the brand new 14,000 sq ft A12 Commercial Hub at J25 of the A12 - our 140 legal industry professionals work in partnership with clients to provide truly proactive legal services through personal relationships.
Acting as a trusted advisor to individuals, businesses and local authorities, the solicitors and support staff at Holmes & Hills take the time to understand clients’ objectives before delivering practical advice through a personal and accessible approach.
We apologise, but due to the volume of applications we are currently receiving, we may not always be able to respond to unsuccessful applicants.
*Effective as of 1st July 2021.