Child Arrangements – what this means for fathers after separation

Posted 03/04/2018

In this article, Rosalyn Kinsley, Family Law solicitor at Holmes & Hills Solicitors in Braintree discusses arrangements regarding to children and access to children for fathers following divorce or separation.

It is often thought that after parties separate the children will remain with their mother, with the father seeing them at regular intervals. This can often be on alternate weekends with time during the week. However, this is not always the case and sometimes it is in the best interests of the children to live with their father.

Courts consider that parents are best placed to make decisions in relation to their children. If parties cannot agree then the Court can assist. Solicitors can help parties negotiate arrangements and mediation can also be beneficial within these negotiations.

The Court can make an order confirming the arrangements for the children relating to with whom the children live and the time they spend with the other parent.

Depending on the age of the children, their wishes and feelings can be considered within any proceedings and these can make a difference to the outcome of a case. In some circumstances, the Court may require additional evidence to assist in making a decision and can appoint an organisation such as Cafcass to obtain this.

When deciding an application for a Child Arrangements Order the child’s welfare is the paramount concern. If it is considered to be in the best interest of the child to live with their father then a Court will order this. There is no preference given to mothers within such applications.

Get expert legal advice from a specialist solicitor

If you have real concerns about the care of your children or one parent is making a decision in respect of the children that you do not consider to be in their interests, a Family Solicitor can help you. Rosalyn Kinsley has assisted fathers in cases relating to their children. Rosalyn has recently represented a number of fathers that have obtained Orders for the children to live with them and helped fathers obtain additional time with their children.

If you need any advice on Child Arrangements, whether that relates to where your child lives or how much you can see them, you can arrange an appointment to speak with one of Holmes & Hills’ specialist Family Law Solicitors. Holmes & Hills have offices in Braintree, Sudbury, Coggeshall, Halstead and Tiptree and our Solicitors can see you at any of these locations for your convenience. Appointments to see a Family Law solicitor are also available on a Saturday at the firms Sudbury office.

Rosalyn  Kinsley

Posted 03/04/2018 by:
Rosalyn Kinsley
Solicitor in Family Team

Our People

Find the lawyer you are looking for by name or department:

Forthcoming events

© Holmes & Hills LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England & Wales under Registration Number OC352397.Registered Office Dale Chambers, Bocking End, Braintree, Essex CM7 9AJ. A list of partners' names is available at this address.

We use "partner" to mean a member of Holmes & Hills LLP or a senior member of staff. Authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority - SRA Number: 534489