- Civil Disputes & Litigation
- Divorce, Children & Family Law
- Elderly Client
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Personal Injury/Clinical Negligence
- Residential Property
- Wills, Trusts & Probate
- Business Start-up
- Commercial Disputes
- Commercial Property
- Contracts & Agreements
- Corporate Acquisitions & Disposals
- Debt Recovery
- Commercial Planning
- Planning for Individuals
- Planning for Local Authorities
- The Whipps Line (Planning Blog)
Planning for Local Authorities
Holmes & Hills Solicitors have a specialist Planning & Development team that acts for a number of local authorities throughout Essex and East Anglia. The team is led by David Whipps, one of only several Legal Associates of the Royal Town Planning Institute in the region.
The team boast two legal advocates with experience of representing local authorities in the Magistrates, Crown, County and High Courts. They also regularly appear at public planning inquiries.
The team offer local authorities cost-effective and practical legal advice on all Planning matters. Seeking specialist advice at an early stage of a project or dispute can reduce your overall legal fees and will allow for your matter to be resolved as quickly as possible.
Our team offer district and borough councils a range of Planning services covering:
- Strategic planning
- Core strategy/DPD’s
- Enabling development
- Planning obligations
- Lawful Development
- Certificates Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Regulations
- Section 106 Agreements
- Planning contributions
- Breaches of planning control
- Enforcement appeals
- Land drainage – Section 104 Agreements
- Listed buildings
- Highways law
- Highways Works Agreements
- Highway contributions
- Common land and village greens
- Trees and hedgerows
Planning from the local government perspective:
Whether opposing, supporting or negotiating, our Planning & Development team has experience of advising and representing local authorities on a range of planning matters and can give you and your department the support and guidance it needs. See below for an indication of the work we have carried out for local authorities across East Anglia.
Short or long term support:
Our Planning & Development team can provide on-going planning advice and support, acting in the absence of an internal legal team, or can provide legal support on a single project or dispute.
Our experience supporting local authorities:
• Representing a local authority at a 3 week Public Inquiry pursuing an objection to a County Council proposal for an integrated waste management waste facility.
• Successfully representing a local authority in an appeal against a refusal to grant planning permission for 120 houses following officer recommendation for approval. Appeal withdrawn.
• Advising and representing a local authority on an application for a Lawful Development Certificate in relation to the proposed change of use of a DIY store to a supermarket. The applicant was successful at a Public Inquiry however the local authority was successful in challenging the Inspector’s decision in the High Court by way of a Statutory Review.
• Renegotiate a Section 106 agreement in respect of 1,500 houses and including, schools, major highways works, open space provision, community buildings, affordable housing and financial contributions.
• Representing a local authority on renegotiating a planning obligation for a major container port development.
• Making an application for an urgent High Court Injunction in respect of the creation of an unauthorised gypsy encampment.
• Making an application for an injunction to restrain the use of a large area of farmland as airport car parking.
• Prosecuting a land owner in the Magistrates Court for breaches of 3 Enforcement Notices relating to unauthorised buildings on his property and securing fines totaling £15,000 and an order for full costs.
Meet our team
Senior Partner & Head of Planning & Development Team
Solicitor in Planning & Development Team
Partner in Planning & Development Team